Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watch Watchmen


I have been hopeful since I first saw Zach Snyder talking about his Watchmen project that this movie could possibly capture the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel upon which it is based. Well, this movie delivers the goods. Visually, it's amazing to me how well the movie looks like a representation of what Dave Gibbons drew. And it's a stunning representation. Most of the plot that was not omitted is faithful to the original book and I think overall the script is faithful to the spirit of Watchmen. Some plotlines have been left out of the theatrical release, but the movie is already at 2:45, so it's remarkable to me how much stayed in the story. I really think this is one of the best comic-book movies I've ever seen.

Notes: not for younger viewers (there's a lot of sex and violence), it's long, and the story may be confusing if you haven't read the graphic novel. The basic idea is an imagining of superheroes who have the same kinds of flaws as regular people, perhaps even worse flaws than most. Oh, and there's a lot of blue penis in this movie, if that sort of thing offends you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23bluepenis

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home