Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Long National Nightmare Is Over

That's what Gerald Ford said after he succeeded Nixon, for those of you who've forgotten where that expression came from. That's how I feel now, as Barrack Hussein Obama is being sworn in by John Roberts. I feel... kind of emotional, actually, which is weird for me. I think it's the promise of an end to our country starting wars with others that have done nothing to us, of human pyramids of shackled and hooded prisoners, of "unlawful combatants" held indefinitely in prisons beyond the reach of our justice system, of extraordinary rendition, of Attorney's General who are unsure of Habeus Corpus is an actual right of US citizens, of an Executive Branch that thinks it's superior to the other branches of government, of leadership that cannot give away the resources of this country fast enough to business cronies or tear down environmental protection for the same cronies, of all the horrendous bullshit that has shocked me so much over the last eight years that these horrors barely register any more.

It's done. Thank God, if you're up there, for this respite. If I were a praying sort of guy, I would pray that this administration will be able to do better than Gerald Ford did. I know that he has some huge problems ahead of him and that probably not all of them will get solved in the next four years. But in my heart, I hope things go well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home