Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Steve vs The MafIAA

Without question, the most cogent description of the latest ruckus between Steve and the music labels. Stolen from Slashdot.

Music Industry: We want DRM.
Steve Jobs: You got it. Hey, it only works with iPods as well. Isn't product tying great!
Music Industry: Can we have more control over our product?
Steve Jobs: Nope.
Music Industry: Oh. Uhm... We'll leave
Steve Jobs: No you won't.
Music Industry: Oh. Ummm can you open up Fairplay. This will mean there's some competition and we can afford to ditch you.
Steve Jobs:: Nope. Why would I ever do that?
Music Industry: We'll make you look like the bad guy.
Steve Jobs: You can try. I made downloadable music viable, produce the gadget all the cool kids want and I don't sue children and old ladies. Not only that, but I can plausibly blame all your troubles on you.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What irritates me though is that he waited so fucking long to say anything negative about DRM. I mean fuck, Steve, no one EVER wanted DRM, and in 2007 it finally clicks with you?

And I want to complain here also about iTunes for Windows. OMFG that software is about as stable as a redhead having a nervous breakdown. (Well, on Windows anyway. Which is a whole 'nother level of shitty anyway).

7:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Mmm, DRM doesn't everyone want that? It offers so many benefits like... um, what were we talking about? I don't think Steve ever wanted DRM, but that was a condition for allowing music to be sold on iTMS by the record labels. I don't think it was really an issue until all these European countries started making noises about how Apple should "open up" its DRM.

iTunes on Windows: *cough*getamac*cough*

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home