Saturday, November 12, 2005

Aqualung My Friend



Had a splendid evening watching Jethro Tull at the beautiful Avalon Ballroom in Oakland last night. I was initially somewhat skeptical when Noelle suggested it, since I think Ian Anderson is in his 90s now. However, Ian, Martin Barre and the others still put on an excellent show. They played almost all the songs from the Aqualung album, some songs from the Christmas album and others over their career for 2+ hours. And we got a free live CD of Aqualung. How cool is that? The live version of Thick As A Brick was surprisingly good (I am kind of tired of hearing that one.). The first set was the quieter, more acoustic set and the second set was the "loud" one. It wasn't really that loud. For once, I left my earplugs out. Good sound in the Avalon.

The crowd was weird. I have gotten used to being in the aged part of the demographic, not the young whippersnapper part. There were some kids there, but it seemed to mostly be older types. And some of them seem to have forgotten how to act when high in public. Or (as is my fear) they are what happens to band nerds with no social skills when they get older. Like the dipshits behind us who kept loudly talking all through the first act. I was shocked to see how old they were. Anyway, other than those clowns, I had no disappointments. Well, other than the fact that they didn't play Songs From the Wood or Minstrel in the Gallery. <snif>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home