Thursday, October 27, 2005

Petzold: Does Visual Studio Rot the Mind?

I ran across this article on Slashdot the other day. "Does Visual Studio Rot the Mind?" Ordinarily I would just ignore this as the usual anti-MS rantings one finds on Slashdot, but I did a double take when I saw who had written it: Charles Petzold. If you've done any Windows development and you read a book to learn how to do it, there is a decent chance you read one of Petzold's Windows Programming books. So, to hear him questioning Microsoft's main development environment was pretty interesting. Good read if you're into software development.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aki said...

Yeah Yeah. Everyone should use Emacs and write assembly..

10:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I don't think he was suggesting that. Merely that some of the tools developers use to write code force them to code in a particular way. And that the proliferaton of APIs makes it hard to be generalist Windows programmer.

Personally, I think coming out of the trees was a big mistake. :-)

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home