Monday, August 16, 2004

The Cult of Tony Robbins


So when I went to work on Friday, I was somewhat annoyed to find the street entrance to work blocked off. Later I found out that Tony Robbins the motivational speaker is in town, giving a four day seminar. Then I found out that as part of the seminar, attendees are encouraged to walk on coals. Hmm, that doesn't sound like a cult I thought to myself. After work, a number of us were hanging out on the patio when we saw them setting up the bonfires. In the street. In downtown San Jose. WTF, thinks I. This is strange. They had a bonfire about 100 yards long in the street. Some of the video guys went up to grab some cameras in case some of the devotees, er seminar attendees, were to burst into flame. Then the throngs rushed out to hear some more of Tony's wisdom. I couldn't make out much of what he was saying, except for for one part where he exhorting them:
Tony: Say yes!
Crowd: Yes!
Tony: Say yes!
Crowd: Yes!
Tony: Say yes!
Crowd: Yes!
Hmm, methinks, not like a cult at all. Then I went out for a bit to catch a movie. When I came back around midnight, I had to drive around to another entrance because the street was now completely blocked off (not just on one side of the street like before). Somewhat annoyed, I parked up on the top of the parking garage, which afforded a nice view of the proceedings. The bonfires had finally burned down to coals, which had been arrayed into a number of coal beds about 5-10 feet long, not the 100 yards it was before. However, now they had drums beating feverishly. Ok, now this seems like a cult. All we needed was The Virgin Connie Swail.

Tony Robbins, hungry!

2 Comments:

Blogger Aki said...

So that would explain why they were blasting "Light My Fire" by The Doors as the crowds streamed out of the seminar. Too bad I didn't stay to watch the rest of circus.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You would have had to have waited a while, I think. It takes several hours to burn down to coals and they had just fired the wood up at the point you are talking about.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home