Wednesday, August 11, 2004

China Lake: August 7, 2004

I'm sitting in a camp chair out to my Aunt Glennys' camp (well, one of them, she has two) at China Lake. The sun is glittering off the surface of the lake like million diamonds. Someone is waterskiing on the lake, so waves roll in periodically and I can hear the drone of the engine off in the distance. The lake is a mile wide I'm guessing and several miles long. Not too awfully many people out here. I can see some people in kayaks and a few people in power boats fishing. Other than the waves, the boats, and the distant whir of traffic it's pretty quiet here. It's really peaceful and I have my laptop handy, so I thought I'd stop to blog.

Holy crap! There's a seaplane on the lake. So much for tranquility. Ok. Quieter now.

Uncle Bill's funeral was yesterday. I think it went about as well as one might expect. One of his good friends spoke, as well as the preacher. His immediate family seemed to be in the kind of shock I associate with the sudden death of a close family member. Uncle Bill was a Mason, so some of them showed up at the end to do their Mason thing. Some of those guys I think were older than Uncle Bill (he was /

... Transmission Interrupted...
(August 8 now) It appears that for some reason, I have num lock key on my laptop keyboard. Somehow in my infinite clumsiness, I managed to press it and then get really, really confused as to why I couldn't use most of the keys to type, and those that did type got mapped to other keys. Sigh. Figured it out eventually, at least. I was afraid I was going to have to replace the keyboard ($$$) and explain to the TSA people why I can't type anything sensible in the login screen. Anyway, I'm not really sure where I was. I guess I was going to write something about how old the Masons seemed. I guess people my age don't go in for Masonic stuff.

So, what else did I do today? I found out that the ice cream place on the lake we used to go to now has 24(?) flavors of soft serve, including mango. Not very mango-y. Helped my aunt out with the cookout they had at her place for the Rock & Gem show people. My aunt and uncle have been into geology for a long time. He was a VP for one of the major organizations on the east coast (don't remember name). There was a gem show this weekend in Waterville, so the funeral made things extra complicated for them since Bill was usually involved. Anyway, they had their meeting after the show at Aunt Glennys' house and there was a cookout. We had a beautiful Maine summer evening (i.e. it poured out, off and on) and even a light show (thunder and lightning). It was pretty fun, overall. After most everyone had left and we were done picking things up and putting them someplace dry, I had a chance to sit a spell with Aunt Glennys, Bruce, and a friend of theirs who they took a bunch of geology/mineralogy courses from (name escapes me) before I had to head out. Said bye to various relatives, got packed, and now have a few glorious hours to sleep before the trek to the airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home