Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex



Wow. I just got done watching the first four episodes of this show (based on the manga of Shirow Masamune) in my shiny, new special edition collection. I was a little worried because the trailer is all 3D and I was expecting and hoping for more traditionally drawn anime. Well, that's just the trailer. The show (for the most part, anyway) is not rendered. But it is extraordinary. The art is incredible. It appears to be done by Production IG who also did work on FLCL, a quirky little fave of mine. From the credits it also looks like ZRO Limit, who worked on the Cowboy Bebop series, did the translations. The incomparable Yoko Kanno has done the music, which from what I have heard so far is awesome. The stories are also super. Clever writing. Engrossing music. Top notch animation. I am so blissed out now. I can only hope the other episodes hold up as well. Oh, and the Dolby Digital audio imaging is some of the best I've ever heard. Oh, and after each episode they have a funny little bit with the Tachikomas (aka the Fuchikomas in the manga).

I think I may have some people over for anime night, if there is interest.


Listening to: Home Stay from the album Stand Alone Complex O.S.T. by 菅野よう子

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home