Monday, July 26, 2004

Comic-Con Day Four: Back In the Saddle

I got my camera back! I went to the con in the morning with gloom in my heart and started retracing my steps. I knew that I had the camera up until at least about the last half hour of the previous day, so I went back to the last place I remember stopping: Conspiracy Production comics (makers of The Creep comic). And that's where I had left it! They told me they found it there the previous day and had turned it in to lost and found. A short trip to lost and found and a phone call to their storage center later and I had my Canon back in my hot little hands. I went back to Conspiracy Productions and bought some comics. I encourage you to do the same, or get a shirt or something! It was really encouraging to know that there are good people in the world and sometimes the system really does work. All of the tension of looking for the camera took a lot out of me, though, which was rough, because it was just the start of the day. Oh, the funniest thing was that when I went back to the CP booth, I left a new print and some recently purchased comics there again and had to rush back and retrieve them! Chris needs to keep things in bags, because if he sets things down when tired, he will forget them.

Saturday, from what I understand, is the busiest day of the con, and I can believe it. It was total bedlam inside the show floor. You could barely move in the aisles, especially towards the center of the hall. So I stayed mostly to the edges. Even more people in costume today. I got an autograph from Brian Thompson (aka the Schwarzen-alien bounty hunter on The X Files). He is a very large man. And from reading his bio, has done a lot of work. Didn't see Laurie Holden, who was supposed to be there. Picked up a sketch David Hahn did for me. He's the main (I think) artist in the comic Lucifer, which I like a lot. He drew me a picture of Lucifer and Mazikeen. I got some more interesting prints from some other folks and a lot of comics, posters, and miscellaneous tchotchkes. Thankfully, Noelle has offered (or I asked her, I forget) to cart my excess swag back to the Bay Area.

Caught most of the Simpsons panel. Matt Groening and company were pretty entertaining. Didn't really learn much other than starting with season four of the box set they are doing commentary tracks for each episode in the DVD box sets. Oh, I guess we can't expect to see too much more from Dinner Dog and Rich Uncle Skeleton.

The Farscape panel was awesome! Ben Browder snuck out into the crowd right before the panel to talk to some fans. David Kemper, Brian Henson, Rockne O'Bannon, Browder, and Claudia Black were all there along with some dude from the (grrr) Sci-Fi channel. They showed a preview for the Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars miniseries which is coming out soon (October 17 & 18). Actually, they showed it twice because the fans were so into it. Everyone on the panel was really intelligent sounding and funny. There was a lot of joking around and teasing the members of the panel. They were also quite happy to be there and see their crazy ass fans, who packed Hall 20 (which I heard somewhere has a seating capacity of 6500). Claudia Black got up on her chair and took pictures of the insanity. I guess last year they called her up on someone's cell phone so she could hear the fans. She is also very beautiful in person. There are evidently vague movie plans. Oh! I got the lowdown from the Watch Farscape booth that ADV has finally gotten off their asses and the season 3 box set will arrive in August. August 24, I believe. There was a funny moment during the Q&A where some guy got up and made some observations, including that he really didn't consider himself to be a fan. David Kemper said (paraphrasing): "You watched the show regularly, you came to the panel, you know the actors' names and their characters' names, you stopped to get an autograph, and you've taken the time to consider [some aspect of the show, I forget what the question/statement was about]. I'm sorry, you're a fan."

Went to Dark Horse's Conan panel, but I don't remember a lot about it other than the writer made a point of trying to remain true to the original Robert E. Howard source material (not so much fur diaper, I guess).

Caught the very end of the June Foray panel. She did the voices of Natasha and Rocky on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. She (along with some other voice actors) were reading through an old Rocky and Bullwinkle script. Her voice still sounds great after all these years.

The Adult Swim panel was also a lot of fun. Panelists included Matt Maiellaro (creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, also of Space Ghost Coast to Coast fame, I believe), Dana Snyder (the voice of Master Shake on ATHF), MC Chris (plays Hesh ("Hesh wants sex!" of Sealab 2021), MC Peepants on ATHF), Kate Miller (white Debbie on Sealab), Matt Thompson (creator of Sealab), and Michael Cahill the guy who does the cards on AS. Oh yeah, Jason Publick III (the creator of the Venture Brothers) was there with one of the actors from the venture brothers. They had a clip of all of Michael's favorite cards ("The Cold War is Over... We Won!"). They showed a new clip for ATHF where Frylock explains to Meatwad what Standards and Practices is and why he can't say the J word. That one looks good. They showed a brief Squidbillies clip that wasn't that funny. They showed a longer clip of their new show Stroker and Hoop, about a couple of detectives and their talking car. Looks like it has potential. The car was on a talk radio show and one of them exclaims: "We have to get a FM radio, this AM stuff is poison!" They showed a brief preview of a new sealab episode. Periodically MC Chris would burst out ("Hesh wants sex!") and a fan goaded him into singing part of the I Want Candy rap. All in all, a great panel. Got autographs from Dana and Matt. Kate Miller is surprisingly hot for a voice actor. I was expecting someone normal looking. Woof!

Had to rush out after that panel because Noelle scored us tickets to the Masquerade, which is their funny little fan fashion show. Phil Foglio MC'd. It was kind of hit or miss. Some of the costumes were good, some were so-so. About four contestants in, they had a little kid in a Beast Boy (Teen Titans) costume and makeup get onstage and do a wacky, wacky dance routine. He instantly became the fan favorite. Every time after there was someone on that was remotely displeasing to the crowd, they'd start shouting "Beast Boy! Beast Boy!" Well, until they did a skit called "This is Not the Droid You're Looking For" which mixed the Futurama and Star Wars universes. Then, sometimes, they would shout "Bender! Bender!" Anyway, this silliness went on until around midnight which time Noelle, Carl, and I tooled back to the hotel, very tired. Beast Boy won a number of awards. The girl who dressed up as Harley Quinn and did the filk of the song from Little Shop of Horrors (A Place Somewhere Green?) also did pretty well.


Listening to: Detachable Penis by King Missile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home