Friday, July 13, 2007

Internet Radio Activism

I did something today I've never done before: I called my Congress(wo)man and my Senators to try and affect legislation. Perhaps a weird thing to call about, but the Copyright Royalty Board recently ruled that internet radio websites have to pay for each song they stream, rather than a percentage of their revenue. This seems very unfair to me, since radio broadcasters do not pay for every song they broadcast that is received by every radio. A Washington state congressman has crafted a bill to remedy this situation: the Internet Radio Equality Act. Basically it would require that webcasters would pay a fraction of their overall revenue, rather than on a per song basis.

If you are interested in doing the same you can find your senators' phone numbers here and your representatives' phone numbers here (find your representative from the popup menu).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home