Sunday, July 17, 2005

Comic-Con 2005: Day 5 (No pictures, no pictures!)

Whew, getting a bit bushed here. It was not as long a day today as some of the others, but it's now the fifth and final day of the con, so I'm a bit run down. Feet are muy tired.

First panel of the day was Universal's Doom panel for the movie based on the video game of the same name. They had the head guy from id Software there, as well as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Karl Urban, who both acted in the film. They showed a brand new trailer and a clip featuring a cinematographic technique I've never seen in a movie before. They filmed in Prague and principle shooting is done. I believe that one is coming out in October. Looks watchable. The Rock is a lot more eloquent in person than I would have expected.

The next panel (and the final one I went to while at the con) was the Narnia panel. They showed the trailer and a special compilation clip made specially for Comic-Con. A couple guys from Weta were there as well as the guy who bought the rights and organized the project (executive producer?), the main effects guy, and the guy who made a bunch of the costumes. Their project sounds really ambitious and the clip the Weta people brought of concept art and maquettes was really, really cool. I have high hopes for this movie which should be in theaters just before Christmas.

After the Narnia panel broke up, I basically spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the main floor looking at people's offerings. Luckily my cash flow was pretty low, so I didn't go super crazy buying stuff, although some places took credit cards, so I did not quite escape the valley of the shadow unscathed. I went through Artist Alley looking at the art and happened upon a couple artists that I dug. Unfortunately they don't have websites, so I can't offer a link to them.

Round about five the con ended, there was an audible shout of joy (from the vendors, I believe), and I made my way back to the hotel. Two good cons in a row. Got lots of cool stuff. Saw lots of cool things. I am tired, but happy. Now I just need to figure out how to cram all this swag into my luggage. And then get back to comics. And the new Harry Potter book. And maybe work on some of those pictures I took over the past week. Didn't take any today. I was pretty spent, so I just couldn't be bothered. Maybe next year. ;-) Anyway, I should have pictures online Real Soon Now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home