Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence


Well, this wasn't quite what I expected. On the whole, I liked it a lot, but I am in a distinct minority. This movie draws on a lot of Shirow's ideas from the manga. E.g. Technological forms are the natural extension of our DNA expressing itself. And Oshii (the director) elaborates on these themes at length. I think the long existential dialogs lost a lot of people. I kinda liked it. But not everyone will. There were a lot of beautifully rendered scenes. However, I didn't like the mixture of 2D and 3D animation some of the time because I didn't think they composited very well. Oh, and I am certain to be rendered a heretic, but I really could have used a dubbed version. It's really hard to follow the wordy, philosophical subtitles and watch the animation at the same time. Probably rates another viewing (by me, a lot of the people I went with will probably never go to a movie with me again :-)), but I don't know if I'll wait until the video comes out or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home