Thursday, November 15, 2007

Set Your Goals 2007

So just a year or so after the last ones (I'm getting better!), here's a recap of last year's goals and how I did:

1. Keep my sweety happy with me.

I think this one has been fairly successful. We're cohabitating and she seems to like it.

2. Visit at least two national parks I've never been to before.

I didn't make this one, unfortunately. I don't think I went to any new parks.

3. Read at least six books.

I think I squeaked by on this one, although I can't depend on JK Rowling or Neil Gaiman to bail me out every year. Unless you count graphic novels and trade paperback collections of comics, in which case I did a fine job.

4. Improve my photography skills. Go to at least one workshop or class.

Nope, not even one. Sigh.

5. Get my passport renewed and travel abroad somewhere.

Yes! I got my passport renewed and visited the Dutch and French Antilles, aka St Maarten/St Martin.

6. Improve my guitar playing ability. I got the new axe. I should get a new teacher and try practicing at least half an hour a day.

Oy. I really failed abysmally on this one.

7. Process at least four of the photo sessions I took in the past year. Which is a pathetic goal.

I don't think I did this one.

8. Lose 20 pounds by my next birthday. Specifically, make a concerted effort to get into the gym four times a week.

No, in fact I think I went the other way, much to my chagrin.

9. Improve my brain: learn a new language, brush up on my atrophied math skills, don't get stale.

Didn't do any of those things, although my brain atrophying doesn't seem too severe for some reason.

10. More volunteering/public service.

Nothing comes to mind.

11. Go camping at least four times.

Wah. No. Did not do. Very sad about this one.

12. improve my Mac OS X hacking skillz. I even have a project in mind.

I don't even remember what the project was. Sigh.

13. Fix up the house!!! Do at least four of the ten items I have my whiteboard to-do list.

Ok, this one I completely blew out of the water. I got a new garage door, a new back door, double paned windows for the entire house, we repainted the hallway, we put in a new sprinkler system, I had the sod replaced in the front and back yard, I had trees planted, I threw out a ton of stuff from the garage, I had the house insulated, etc, etc, etc. I made a lot of progress on home improvement.

Ok, so it was a mixed bag as was last year. Some things I did great on, others were terrible failures. Maybe I have too many goals, maybe I'm not focused enough, whatever. Que sera, sera. So let's throw out some goals for next year:

1. Keep my sweety happy with me.

2. Organize my finances better for retirement, etc.

3. Read at least six books.

4. Improve my photography skills. Go to at least one workshop or class.

5. Visit at least two national parks I've never been to before.

6. Improve my guitar playing ability. I should get a new teacher and try practicing at least half an hour a day.

7. Process at least two of the photo sessions I took in the past year. Which is a really, really pathetic goal.

8. Lose 20 pounds by my next birthday. Specifically, make a concerted effort to get into the gym four times a week.

9. Improve my brain: learn a new language, brush up on my atrophied math skills, don't get stale.

10. More volunteering/public service.

11. Go camping at least four times.

12. Improve my hacking skillz. Develop a project and do it.

13. One largish home improvement project: E.g. repaint the living room.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home