Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What's New In Vista?

The Mercury News ran this article about what's new in Windows Vista and I have to say I'm kind of underwhelmed.
  • Windows will now ask you before it installs stuff.
  • Start menu features a quick search to find files on your computer.
  • Aero Glass -> eye candy
  • Windows sidebar features "gadgets"
That's it? All of this has been available in <cough> other operating systems or even as add ons for Windows 2k/XP for several years now. This is what it's taken them five years to write? I thought the "Welcome to Longhorn" t-shirts (with a picture of the Mac OS X Tiger CD on them) were a silly, cheap shot at Windows. But our friends in Redmond appear to have exceeded my expectations of lameness.

2 Comments:

Blogger cindabin said...

it also struck me how some of their new UI stuff is basically a copy of Mac OS.

a) the new "Windows Pearl" to replace the Start menu button is suspiciously small and in the corner like the Apple menu.
b) the "gadgets" are just a copy of the widgets on the Mac OS's Dashboard.
c) not sure what Aero Glass can do, but it wouldn't surprise me if they started animating the windows to slide around on the screen in interesting ways; i saw a picture of some cascading mode or something. reminded me of the F9 and F10 features on the Mac.

Anyhoo, I like those aspects of the Mac OS, so it's probably good that Vista's adopting some of them. And to state the obvious, it's not like M$ hasn't copied other people's ideas before. But I still thought it was interesting to note.

-Cindy

10:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey Cindy! Nice delurk. :-)

What, M$ copy other people's ideas?! If only they would move the window widgets to the proper side of the window. ;-) And maybe not bind every process to a window.

I believe however, that their gadgets are actually a copy of Those *cough* predate Apple's widgets. ;-)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home