Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas In Maine 2004

In the boarding tube at my transfer in Denver I got to talking with this woman who started cursing at her cell phone as we were going down the tube. All of a sudden I had an epiphany: I looked around and saw nothing but foul mouthed, grumpy, white people. I had found my tribe! These are my people. Suddenly it felt like I was truly going home again. :-) Pretty good trip, although the flight from SJC to DEN was an hour late because the flight crew discovered a bolt in the tire as the plane was taxiing off the runway. This led to obvious questions on my part such as: "Where did the bolt come from? From this plane? That sounds bad. From some other plane? That sounds bad too. Were they scattering bolts on the runway for some reason?" Evidently the bolt in the tire was not a critical problem because we took off without them removing the tire. <shrug>

Boston was cool, by which I mean, below freezing. Got out of the rental place in under two hours after they first tried to give me an Explorer with a broken driver's side mirror. Dropped in at Bean's at 2 in the morning to grab a couple things. :-) It was 6 degrees (that's Fahrenheit for those of you used to metric temperatures) at my gram's when I got in. This cold must really be kicking my ass because I slept 12 hours (!) that night. Which kinda put a damper on the shopping I planned on doing. Took my mom down to Portland and did some shopping. Went up yesterday to Bangor where I finished almost all of my remaining shopping, somehow. I appear to have brought warmer weather with me to Maine, since on Thursday it was upper 40s and rainy. In fact, it was like a monsoon last night. High winds and sheets of rain. I thought the land yacht I'm driving was going to go overboard a couple times. Saw some good friends I haven't seen in ages and had our annual dinner at Olive Garden. Scared/offended the other guests and perplexed our friendly waiter. Just like old times. :-)

Back in Portland to find that one last gift and make use of the InterWeb, which I've been disconnected from lo these past three days. Well, back to it, I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very strange. I don't remember being scared/offended. :-)

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home