Sunday, October 31, 2004

WTF Just Happened?

Do you ever have times where you find yourself saying "WTF just happened here?" (Or, if you're cognizant of it at the time, "WTF is happening here?") I have had the strangest weekend I can remember. So, Friday night I go over to a party/event some friends of mine are having at a local club (The Blue Monkey is very nice place, btw.) One of my friends was DJing there that night and he dragged me onto the dance floor after his set, even though I do not ordinarily dance. It appears wine and mixed drinks lower that inhibition. :-) Anyway, on the dance floor I meet Crazy Drunk Girl, who is doing some, ah, dirty dancing. After a short period of time I get the impression CDG is into me, which is reinforced by her taking my hand and directing me to follow her. Cool, thinks I, I've never picked up/been picked up by someone in a bar in my life. Turns out she wants to get a butt outside, but doesn't have any on her. After running into a couple of people who are not 100% polite in their refusal to give her a cigarette, she morphs into Belligerent Crazy Drunk Girl. I become somewhat concerned that she's going to get in a fight with some of these guys and with her safety in general since it becomes clear to me now that she is three sheets to the wind and I *sigh* take it upon myself to make sure she gets home safely. We go to another bar, because she has soured on the previous bar and needs a cig and a drink. Closing time comes around quickly, fortunately and I endeavor to get CDG back to her place. Turns out she can't really go back to her place that evening and could she please stay with me? *sigh* And so it begins.

So we take a cab back to my work (where my car is) because she's not up to walking that far. In the parking garage she morphs again into Crazy Drunk Girl With Problems. I won't elaborate, except to say there was a lot of crying and none of it was my fault (or hers, as far as I can tell). So, anyway, I get her back to my place, get some food, water, and advil into her, get her some tissues, and get her into bed, after reassuring her some more that no harm will come to her from me.

So, the next day, strangely enough, CDG has become merely Hungover Girl. We hang out for a while and I'm thinking I can take her back to her place now that it's daytime and all. So at this point I find out that the family friend she's been staying with for the past few months is kicking her out November 1 (Yes, in two days) and she has no one around here to stay with and no way to get to anyone who would let her stay with them and no money to speak of. She does have a friend in SD who will let her stay there, but he can't afford to get her there either. So, I offer to buy her a bus ticket to SD, since I have this thing about wanting people I know (however briefly, it seems) to stay off the street. So, long story short(er), I take her to the mall to get some new clothes and sundries, take her to The Grudge (which was still entertaining on the 2nd (3rd if you count Ju-On) viewing), feed her some more, and get a Greyhound ticket for Sunday morning.

So, I got up super early (earlier than I had to, because I am a dumbass and set the clock forward an hour, not back an hour, because I really didn't want her to miss her bus), took her by her Aunt's place where she got her stuff and some really bad news about a loved one, took her to the station, gave her some seed money, and sent her on her way to beautiful Southern California and hopefully a better life. All her worldly possessions fit into one medium sized suitcase.

After I saw her off I had this powerful WTF sense overtake me. And I was tired. It felt like 3-4 days had been compressed into 36 hours. I think I did a good thing, but I'm kinda paranoid, so I had this fear I was getting played. I guess if I make the assumption that everything is what it seems it is, then I did what needed to be done. Well, what I needed to do, anyway. Anyway, very weird weekend, didn't really do anything I planned on doing, but an interesting experience, nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home