Monday, September 13, 2004

Ju-On: The Grudge


So I saw this horror film "From the Makers of Ringu" on Saturday. It involves ghosts or a haunted house or some kind of curse involving people who are murdered in the midst of a murderous rage. It's kind of an infectious curse, because people who experience it seem to pass it on to people they meet and tell about it. And there's Toshio, who will no doubt be remembered as The Japanese Haley Joel Osment the creepy kid whose presence is premonitory to Bad Things happening and the Crawling Lady who is really bad news. There's lots of games played with camera angles so you see the things the characters don't see until it's too late and the characters seeing things you only hear. This movie has a lot of creepy moments. Lots of odd details that you might miss if you aren't paying attention. I imagine a lot of people would find it scary. I've never really found a horror movie that scared me that much, except for Jacob's Ladder. But this movie has lots of tingly moments. Unfortunately, I got to the end and said: "Huh?" It's also shot in an episodic fashion, with the episodes not in chronological order. Or, I don't think so. It was hard to make out the chronology, actually. So, in a lot of ways a good film, but with some flaws. I may have to watch this one again, to try and make sense of it, but I may do it on video.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home